Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 2: How To Cope With Your Low Wage Service Job

Here, continuing from the previous post in which we were getting into the topic of how to manage to do a low wage service job day-in and day-out while keeping one's sanity. I used to build up such an enmity for jobs until I had to virtually had to quit, as I just couldn't deal with the experience I would have going in there. But yet you know you have to do it, so it's like this constant war going on inside oneself. Like this extreme hatred for what you have to do, but knowing there is really not any other option.

For a few people it is not so tough somehow, but for most it does not sit well at all, and this is why these types of jobs will often have such a high 'turnover' rate because, frankly, nobody likes doing this kind of work, and most people have a hard time coping with it day after day, for an extended period of time. It's like this resentment just builds and builds until you really can't take it anymore, and then you find a way out. Probably another job in yet another low paid service position, where it's not going to be any better, but it's new for a time, and it's like you get a 'reset' or 'start-over', until the resentment starts accumulating again and you repeat the process.

This is what I did for some time, bouncing between jobs and it was really a vicious cycle, where nothing essentially changed. The pay was usually roughly the same, the jobs were all pretty crappy. The consequence of this being that it doesn't look good on your resume to have bounced from job to job, to employers it looks like you are a more risky hire that may not last long. So this can really have a negative effect with no benefit in the long run. I didn't know how I was going to 'make it' if I had to do this forever, or at least for the foreseeable future.

It's a very hard situation to be in and not stress about it heavily. In most, if not all, of the corporate run, low paid service jobs I've done, almost on a daily basis, someone says “I hate this job.” Which is often met with a response from another employee, such as “I know” or “Tell me about it”. In the past I myself said all these words as well.

It's no secret, these jobs really are unpleasant. I mean, I don't know anyone, who when they were younger, said, “You know, when I grow up, I want to serve fast food. I want to do a job that will draw its profit from my labor, yet not even pay me enough to live effectively.” No. No one says that.

I was wholly unprepared for the degree of compromise I would have to go through within such jobs, where your physical and mental well-being is completely disregarded, and you are literally treated as just a 'battery' for the 'machine', so to speak. I mean, if I hadn't gone through this myself I would never have even guessed that these sort of situations even existed or were taking place, it just blew me away, the level to which we've accepted and allowed ourselves to be so abused.

Within all this, I went into a reaction towards this situation, where I experienced various emotions like hopelessness, despair, rage, hatred, defiance, powerlessness, because I saw no solution to get out of this situation. I didn't have any experience or training or degrees that I could use to try to get a better paying job, but I knew I was capable of far more than this menial work. The fact of the matter is, there just aren't enough 'good' jobs to go around, more and more the jobs that are increasing are these menial service jobs, and that means that no matter what your experience, background or ability, many, many individuals are only going to get into these types of jobs. And that's what we're seeing today where we have people with master's degrees working at McDonald's.

What I came to realize though, is that this is the situation at the moment, and that no amount of being upset about it is going to change it. It's going to take actual actions to change our system. And going through all these emotions toward the situation was only adding further consequence and stress to an already crappy situation, because the fact is, I have to do it for now. The key was really to stop making it worse than it already is, making myself a victim to it, because that was just pointless.

So, essentially, it's to take self responsibility for my own experience, so that instead of getting lost in an experience toward my situation, I can rather do what I need to do and focus on solutions. And that is what this whole blog is for/about. It is the process that I walk to redefine my relationship toward work/labor/the system, to stop being a victim to it, and to 'take back' my power that I gave away to the system.

There are really many dimensions to this point, that will be opened up in more specificity in many posts to come, in looking at how we can transform who we are within our relationship to our labor, to bring it from what it exists as today which is essentially enslavement and disregard for life, and correct it so that what we do here is an expression of ourselves that works in harmony with the each other, earth, nature and the animals here, so that we can exist in a way that is beneficial and worthwhile instead of this pointless seemingly never-ending rat-race through which we are bringing down the whole world. So stay tuned..
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment